Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Beauty and the bump: oils


Being a pregnant beauty editor definitely draws its benefits. I'm always offered to test treatments for free and as many of you mothers know, pregnancy is a time when these kind of opportunities are especially appreciated. So look out for regular 'Beauty and the bump' posts that will see me reviewing old and new beauty-bump remedies and treatments. These are also going to pop up on the fab website nonstopmama where I'm a guest contributor.


During my first pregnancy (that's me above 8 months gone with Oliver) I tested a few potions to keep stretch marks at bay. Oils were always a popular choice as their moisturising properties are second to none (their lighter formula allow them to penentrate deeper into skin than regular moisturisers normally do). But there was one contender that really stood out and I know for sure it's one that my fellow beauty mum's also swear by: Clarins Aroma Body Care Body Treatment Oil. I got through 4 bottles and during this pregnancy I've nearly finished my 5th! Honest, I'd drink it if I could.
So what makes it such a bump must-have? Apart from smelling divine, think clean-sheets hanging in a garden centre - its texture is perfect. It leaves no greasy leftovers as it sinks into skin almost straight away. Okay, it's pricey at just under £35 a bottle, but it works. I have no stretch marks to show for Oliver, and none so far this time (fingers crossed). Plus as a daily luxury, the fact that it makes you feel better about yourself too during months when you don't often feel your very best, makes it worth its weight in gold.

This time around I've also found another can't-live-without-it oil, but this time for my face! Since having Oliver, I have suffered quite badly with hormone-induced pigmentation. Dark patchy spots around my upper lip, chin and cheeks (attractive)! So when a beauty PR friend of mine heard me whining about it one day, she offered to send me a bottle of (supposedly) pigmentation-reducing face oil. And after 3 months of nightly usage, D'Arphin's Organic Orange Blossom Aromatic Care Face Oil has also made it to the top of my beauty and the bump list.


So what does it do? Well for me, it made my skin look more vibrant and even. Apparantly it's the liquorice extract and carrot essential oil that helps blend away any uneven patches. Using an oil on the face feels like a luxury too. Some of you might think it would leave you looking and feeling like a chip-shop assistant, but far from it - skin appears plump and healthy with a 'rich-looking' glow. You know the one that's reserved for supermodels and celebs.

I really am a big fan of oils, and this probably isn't the last post that I shall dedicate to their wonderful benefits. I really do believe they should be part of everyone's beauty regime, pregnant or not, oily skin or non-oily skin. So why not try one out and make them a part of your beauty routine?

Donnax

No comments:

Post a Comment